The gallbladder serves as a storage and release organ for bile, which aids in digestion. Gallbladder disease encompasses various issues and conditions that negatively impact the gallbladder. These conditions include:
– Gallstones: Solid particles that obstruct the passage to the gallbladder and bile ducts.
– Cholecystitis: Inflammation of the gallbladder, often caused by gallstones. Over time, the gallbladder may shrink and lose its ability to release bile.
– Choledocholithiasis: Inflammation of the gallbladder resulting from a gallstone lodged in the exit pathway.
– Acalculous gallbladder disease: Inflammation of the gallbladder without the presence of gallstones.
– Biliary dyskinesia: Abnormally low gallbladder function.
– Sclerosing cholangitis: Persistent inflammation and damage to the bile duct system, leading to scarring.
If you are affected by any of these gallbladder conditions, it is advisable to consult our specialists who will guide you through the treatment process.
Gallbladder disease can be attributed primarily to the development of gallstones. These stones are formed when cholesterol and other substances present in liver bile congeal and solidify. Additionally, conditions such as tumours that obstruct proper bile drainage, infections, or blood vessel problems can contribute to gallbladder disease.
Regardless of the underlying cause, you can seek specialised assistance from the largest physician-led network of gastroenterologists in the country. An expert from The Gut Clinic UK will assess your condition and assist you in determining the most suitable treatment approach.
Symptoms of gallbladder disease include:
– Abdomen tender to the touch
– Pain that spreads to your back or right shoulder
– Severe abdominal pain, especially in your upper right or center abdomen
If you experience any of these troubling GI tract symptoms, contact our Specialists at The Gut Clinic UK right away.
The treatments for gallbladder disease include various approaches depending on the specific condition. To minimise the risk of gallstones, it is advisable to maintain a healthy weight, lose weight gradually if necessary, and adopt a healthy lifestyle. Many gallbladder diseases can be diagnosed through a simple ultrasound, although your doctor may recommend additional imaging such as a CT or MRI scan. If treatment becomes necessary, the following options may be considered:
– Fasting: This approach allows the inflamed gallbladder to rest, reducing inflammation.
– Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy): Surgical removal of the gallbladder may be recommended in certain cases.
– Medications: Some medications can help dissolve gallstones.
– Antibiotics: If an infection is present, antibiotics may be prescribed.
– Pain relief medication: Medications can be prescribed to alleviate pain associated with gallbladder disease.
Please note that the specific treatment plan will be determined by your healthcare provider based on your individual condition and needs.
FIND A SPECIALIST
Find a specialist for your gut problem.
The Gut Clinic UK is a one of largest physician-led platform renowned for its exceptional Gut specialists in the United Kingdom. We take pride in our rigorous selection process for specialists, ensuring that only the most qualified and experienced professionals join our platform.
Our specialists actively engage with patients, providing them with clear explanations, answering their questions, and involving them in the decision-making process.